Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Tasty Tuesday~Oven Baked Ranch Chicken Salad


IMG_20140907_175717339

Okay,  first of all, I usually associate salads with more summer fare.  Second, I absolutely love salads!.  Nope I wasn’t always that way.  In fact I remember a time when I used to eat salads with no dressing because I wasn’t sure what dressing I liked!  Yeah, I was a weird high schooler!  Anyhow,  I am glad that my taste buds haven’t changed and I did venture in the dressing realm also so now I compliment my salad with a Ranch, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Italian or whatever we have.  A few years ago I started making my own Shake n Bake style chicken and pork.  I thought I would experiment with this style and see what I could do with salad.  So, here goes…
IMG_20140907_171320712    First, I took the chicken breasts rinsed them and patted the dry with a paper towel.  I sliced the chicken breasts into strips (you can cube or strip the chicken whichever you are in the mood for).  Once the chicken is cut take one sleeve of Ritz crackers and place the in a food processor and pulse until your crackers are crumbled fine.  If you don’t have a food processor or chopper you can place the into a plastic bag recloseable or even an old bread bag will work and beat with a wooden spoon or roll with a rolling pin until crushed.  Add to the crushed crackers a packet of the Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix.  Close bag and shake slightly to mix.
     You want to then take your chicken strips about 2-3 at a time and place them in the bag.  Close the top and shake to coat the chicken strips.  Place coated strips on a greased cookie sheet.  Repeat with remaining strips until they are all coated. 
     Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center (or has reached the internal temperature of 165 degrees). 
   Once chicken in cooked place on a plate/platter to cool. As the chicken is cooling it is time to prepare your salad.  I use a few different greens when I make salad.  I love romaine and the hubby likes the Iceberg so I started to mix those two together.  To that I add baby spinach and carrots.  I do at times cheat and purchase the pre-bagged salad mixes.  When buying pre-bagged I purchase the same lettuce. 
    Once the salad greens are mixed you are ready to assemble.  Lay out a bed of the greens, top with cucumbers, hard boiled eggs, green peppers, peas or whatever else you like on your salad.  Finally add the chicken strips, the cheese and the croutons.  Viola!  You are finished!  Grab your IMG_20140829_204747456favorite dressing and enjoy!
     My favorite dressing is one that my friend found and brought to a get together (thanks so much Sharon!).  It is a classic vinaigrette made with garlic and apple cider vinegar here in my home state of Ohio.  That is kind of cool I think!
Note:  The chicken can be made ahead of time and placed in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment