Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tasty Tuesday~Farm Fresh Hard Boiled Eggs!

Do you like hard boiled eggs?  We do!  We use them for egg salad, a salad topping, or just whole as a snack!  The first time I boiled  an egg that was fresh from the farm I was one of the hardest tasks.  I thought there was something wrong. They were so hard to peel!  The second time I boiled them longer thinking that it was because they were fresher than the store bought eggs.  The third and final time I tried it I put 6 eggs in the fridge in the basement and waited about 3 weeks.  Don’t worry you can keep them for several months when you get them fresh.  They usually don’t last more than a week at our house, though.  
    So I boiled these “older” eggs, and ya know what?  The shells were still hard to peel. 
     We haven’t purchased eggs in the store for almost 3 years, I can’t bring myself to start now!  Our hens have light and heated water containers so even in the winter they lay pretty regularly.    However if we have period when the girls slow down we just do with out.  
   As I was browsing thru kitchen stuff at our local Kroger Marketplace, I came across this product that looked like it would solve my hard boiled egg problem!  Have you seen these things called Eggies?  They are little plastic cups, that allow you to make hard boiled eggs very easily without having to peel the egg shells off after.

These little plastic  things allow you to make hard boiled eggs very easily with your farm fresh eggs! 

Are they easy to use?  Let’s find out.  First, you want to wash them with hot soapy water before your first use.  When you are ready to make your eggs, take a paper towel and dab a little bit of oil (vegetable, canola, olive it doesn’t matter) on it.  You want to rub the oil on the inside of the Eggie.  This will prevent the eggs from sticking when you are trying to get them out. 

  Secondly, you want to crack one egg into each Eggie.   
IMG_20140408_150346020

     Now they are ready to boil!
IMG_20140804_104158972_HDR[1]IMG_20140804_104214225[1]

I think they look funny!
You will want to boil them for about 10 minutes.  These little things float too!

IMG_20140804_110157534_HDR[1]IMG_20140804_110559875[1]
          

   Once they are finished boiling and have sat for a minute you can take them right out and let them finish cooling.  Then you want to store them in the fridge like any other egg. Now, because of the shape of the Eggie, and the way that it is cooked,  your hard boiled Eggie eggs will not look exactly like the traditional hard boiled eggs.  They have a flat side to them.  I think they look kind of funny don’t you?

IMG_20140408_212454481

Good think their shape doesn’t change their taste at all!  Then you can do what ever you want with them, slice them put them on salad, eat them whole, make egg salad or what ever you do with your hard boiled eggs.

IMG_20140408_212735983
  Now, this was a fun experiment and I still have my Eggies.  They come 6 in a box and are really easy to use.  However, I found out a trick that works really well when peeling the eggs.  If you peel them under running water they peel really nicely too!  So if you choose to try the Eggies or use the water method, I hope you find hard boiled eggs easier to have in your home. 

Comparing the two cooking methods, here they are together!

IMG_20140804_112949862_HDR[1]
Yep, each one of these is one egg!
Comparing the two cooked/finished products on taste, they are equal.  When going on appearance and performance, if you will.  I think the traditional hard boiled egg is much more pleasing to the eye.  So it would be totally up to you and what your intended purpose is.  I think that the hard boiled eggs are easier than the Eggies, however those are not really all that difficult.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment