Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Squeaky Clean~Homemade cleaning wipes


       For several reason, I have been on a mission to make my own household cleaning products.  For one they are healthier.  We do not have peanut allergies in our home, however do understand the importance of knowing what you are putting in your bodies and homes when you do have them or any other allergies.  Little Miss was allergic to Pampers when she was little! Really who is allergic to diapers!  Well that was our reality.  Thankfully it was only Pampers, and fortunately for us we haven’t come across anything else at this point.    I hope that we don’t.  I did come across an article recently that I thought would fit here well.  It is regarding nut oils and cleaning products produced by our very own Procter and Gamble here in Cincinnati.  You can read that article here. 
  Anyhow, I have been making my own glass cleaner as well as laundry soap and fabric softener, and like the previous posts dishwasher soap and waterless dog shampoo.  Now, I am onto the next product:  Cleaning wipes! 
     There is just some sense of pride when you know that you made said product.  I also love the fact that I can say with confidence that I know what is in my cleaning products!
     Here at the Clubb farm the kiddos are assigned weekly chores.  I have never liked the idea of the kids using the chemicals that our cleaning products are filled with, however who doesn’t like a clean home, right?  I always try a couple of different recipes.  I like them to be easy to make and the cheaper they are the better.  I also like them to use things I already have around the house.  This recipe fits all these points!
     So how do you make your own cleaning wipes?  First, you want to make sure you have an air tight container.  This is the only thing that I had to purchase for this.  I chose to purchase the Ziploc brand.  Then you need vinegar, dish soap, paper towels and water.  That is it!
IMG_20140917_221727955[1]    You will want to cut your paper towels.  Originally, I wanted to cut the paper towels in half, however they wouldn’t have fit in my container with the lid tightly closed.  This is something that you want to consider when deciding what container size you need.  I decided that the one-third size of the roll would work. 
                           IMG_20140917_221710195[1]
                      Next, I took the container and added to it the liquid ingredients.  (Don’t worry I didn’t forget how much of the ingredients.  I put a link at the bottom to take you to the site since the recipe isn’t mine.)  I stirred it slightly with a fork, then I put the paper towels in the container and turned it upside down to let the solution soak the paper towels entirely.  I let them sit for about 20 minutes and check them out. They were completely saturated.  IMG_20140917_221913915[1]
  Now it was time to test them out.  I hit the bathroom.  With three boys in the house do I need to say more?  I have to say that I couldn’t tell a difference in the homemade and the Clorox as far as cleaning EXCEPT the smell.  No “bleachy” smell and no worries about the kids using that harsh chemical!  I think this is the one! 
I want to say thanks to the ladies over at Fabulessly Frugal!  They made my task easier by testing and tweaking this recipe until it worked.  Thanks ladies!

2 comments:

  1. It seems like a good idea! It’s easy to do, and it won’t even cost you too much money. Anyway, I’m curious as to how long it will last. Although soaked with vinegar, the paper towels will soon be dissolved. That might even make the cleaning a little tricky.

    Bo Tolbert @ HJS Supply

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I'm glad that you stumbled upon that DIY cleaning wipes and successfully made them. Those are is undeniably cheap and effective, although they won't last much long. Good going for you! In any way, thanks for sharing that! Kudos and all the best to you!

    Monique Fletcher @ Safe Clean Hillingdon

    ReplyDelete