Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Tasty Tues~Chicken Fajita Casserole

IMG_20140916_232722292[2]
     I would rather have too much food than not enough, wouldn’t you?  Because of this, once a week we have leftovers for dinner when they don’t all get eaten during weekly lunches.  Tonight was one of those meals.  I had some left over chicken from a whole chicken that I cooked.  I wanted to do something different than just the normal heating up and serving it with sides.  You know add a little pizzazz to that boring old Tuesday night chicken dinner.  I hit the kitchen and started to browse the cupboards.  Not a whole lot since I needed to go to the store.  Bingo! Fajita seasoning!  We haven’t had those in a long time!Then I realized that I didn’t have the fajitas Sad smile  This is what happens around here when I slack with the meal planning.  However, I can guarantee that no one has missed a meal.  So, I thought who doesn’t like a casserole, right?  Toss  little of this in and a little of that in and see what we have.  It will at least be edible.  I promise! 
     So, I took one can each of corn and black beans and added it to two cups of rice that I quickly cooked.  I shredded what chicken we had left which amounted to about 2 and a half cups.  I then mixed up 3 packets of fajita seasoning with the 1 and a half cups of water and stirred until there were no more clumps.  Then I took that and poured it over the rice, chicken and veggies and stirred until everything looked evenly mixed.  This made enough that I had to put it in my lasagna dish  (15x11x2.5) instead of my 9x13 baker.  Like I said I like to make big meals for the hungry men that live here.  With two teenage boys the refrigerator door never seems closed!
Back to the food!   I added about 1/2  jar of medium salsa and mixed again.  Once that was all well mixed.. into a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes (or until the it is heated through) it went.  Twenty minutes later Viola!  Shred some cheese and call it dinner!  Now you don’t have to rub it in but you can always use this to fill tortillas with. 
  So was it good?  You bet!  This was such a hit here!  Remember that I put this in that lasagna dish that I used and there was about enough left for hubby to take some to work tomorrow!  Wow!
Try it out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment