Thursday, February 23, 2017

Cherry Turnovers~YUM!!

20170218_193231
      My family is a family of sweettooths!  We almost always have ice cream in our house and many times multiple containers of it.  Ice cream is the treat of choice for the hubby and the kids will take whatever (is there a kid who will turn down desserts?)  Well, I only do ice cream pretty much in the summer.  The other seasons are too cold for it for the most part in my opinion.  That being said, I look for other treats to satisfy that sweet tooth!
     When I was in high school I worked at Arby's.  One of the things on their menu were turnovers.  These yummy, sweet, fruity pastries were one thing that I loved!  Fast forward 20170218_183439to my adult years, and I found this little secret dessert maker!  Have you heard of Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry?  I think this stuff is awesome!  I've wanted to try to make it on my own but, haven't tried it yet.  So far I have used it for pot pies, an egg bake, cinnamon twists and now these turnovers.
  They are super simple to make!  Want to make them yourself?  They are super easy!
   What you need:
                              Cookie sheet                 Powdered Sugar                 
                           Parchment paper                   Vanilla              
                            Box of puff pastry                 Milk                             
                            1 egg
                             Pie filling
       To make:  set out the puff pastry for about 20-30 minutes.  This will allow it to thaw enough for you to work with it.  Then unfold one of the pastries (two come in the box) on20170218_182246 a large cutting board.  Gently roll out to flatten the folds.  Cut with pizza cutter or knife into 4 equal pieces.  (If you are like me, they won't be exact :).  Don't worry they will still taste awesome!
     Next, take your pie filling, I like apple best however I let 20170218_182713Luke pick this time and he picked cherry.  You can use any already made fruit pie filling, if you are feeling really overzealous, you can make your own!  I haven't had much luck with pies so for now, I will stick with the ready makde canned kind!
    So take your pie filling and you want to spread about a tablespoon of the filling onto the pastry.  I have found that it is best if you spread it diagonally since you will fold it in that direction.  Befor











e you fold it you want to "make glue" to help it seal before baking.  Scramble the  egg in a bowl and brush a small amount on 2 sides of each pastry.  Finally fold each pastry into a triangle pressing firmly on the ends to "seal".  That is it!  Time to bake!  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  I check mine at 15 minutes just to be on the safe side.
     While they are cooling, take 3T powdered sugar and mix with 1 T of milk and 1/2 tsp of vanilla.  stir until smooth.  Once the turnovers are almost completely cooled, drizzle the icing crossing back and forth.  They prepare yourself to taste the deliciousness!  Enjoy!    
                                                       20170218_193039

No comments:

Post a Comment