Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Our Math Curriculum!


math 2
Geometry Teachers book & Dvd
     Math has always been one subject that I liked.  I wasn’t necessarily good at it, I just liked it.  Math and Science were the subjects that I looked forward to in high school and college.  Math is all around and something that you will need your entire life whether you are an accountant, engineer, a store owner,  or trying to make or stick to a family budget.
     With homeschooling 4 kiddos what works for one child may  or may not work for the rest of the group.  We have been fortunate that we have been able to use the same curriculum for all 4 kiddos! It definitely makes it easier on the budget !Smile 
     What are we using?  Math U See!  I was totally intrigued by the name when I first heard it from my sister.  I checked out their website, and was sold on it!  I ordered my first sets of books, Alpha and Gamma, the levels that we needed to start that year.  It was an instant hit for our then 3rd grader!  He loved it and could do it  on his own! 
    Our then 1st grader wasn’t having as much luck with the program.  Math just wasn’t his thing.  After struggling with it for several weeks, both of us in tears at times, I called MUS.  After talking with the rep, we just took it a bit slower for the first couple of years.  Now you wouldn't know that he spent "extra time" on a book.  In the big picture does it matter when you learn to add or multiply? Absolutely not!  Now he loves math and it is the first thing he does in the morning! 
         Each Math U See set includes: an instructional dvd, teachers book, student book and a test book.     There  are also many manipulatives, like blocks or overlays, to help with your learning.
IMG_20150128_233150437[1]
Page in Epsilon book
     Each instructional dvd contains a short video instruction from Steve Demme, the creator, explaining the lesson.  Once the children watch their dvd, the lessons have 6 pages in each book that go with the lessons in the lower level math.  Once you reach the upper levels there is an honors lesson page included as well.
I love that the program is based on mastery, and they have a lot of resources on their site to help you along your journey. 
I also have spoke with them to get assistance when we hit a rough patch with line graphing, and  I have met Steve at the Midwest Homeschool Convention.  He has been at every one for at least the last 3 years to personally interact with his “students and parents” .  He and the Math U See staff have been such a blessing to work with on our math journey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment