Monday, January 19, 2015

Homemade Fabric Softener


Have you tried to make your own laundry detergent yet?  If yo haven't, you should!  You can check out how I make it with the Duggar Family recipe here!
     Now, what about fabric softener?  Don’t worry, I have that too!  When  it comes to store bought I have to use Downy.  My kids were allergic to Snuggle and I never had the desire to switch or try store brands because of that.  With this natural version it hasn’t been a problem to use with any of us.
IMG_20141203_135132967I was doing some reading and found that vinegar has many many uses!  It is a natural antiseptic, deodorizer and many other things.  So I took a bottle of vinegar and filled the compartment in my washer for fabric softener with it.
       I have to say that I was nervous.  I don’t really like the smell of vinegar and my hubby hates it!  I thought that if our clothes came out smelling like vinegar, how many times would I have to rewash them to get that smell out?  That would 't be very cost effective now would it?  It was worth the try for one load was the conclusion I came to.
     When the cycle was finished I took the clothes out of the washer and they smelled like a hint of vinegar.  Great now I have to rewash, or do I?  When I wash my floors with vinegar, they don’t smell when they are dry.   Would laundry be the same, or would it get into the threads and not come out.  I went ahead and popped them in the dryer.IMG_20141203_135206028
     Do you want to know how it turned out?  I though you would!  Well, they didn’t smell like vinegar!   So, now I take a gallon of vinegar and fill the washer dispenser one time with vinegar.  Then I use my essential oils and put in 50-60 drops of what ever scent I have on hand, and viola!  Homemade Fabric softener!  I like lavendar, as I have previous stated, so that is what I have right now.  I have found that I can order my oils online or purchase them at our new Jungle Jim’s! 
     I do about 2.5 loads of laundry a day and I go thru about a gallon of the vinegar a week.  So for about 2.00 a week I have my own natural fabric softener!   Give it a try and let me know what you think!
     When making any homemade cleaning products, make sure that they are clearly labeled as to what they are so that they are not misused!

No comments:

Post a Comment