Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Crockpot Oatmeal

    IMG_20141111_090724753_HDR[1] We love oatmeal!  I had tried many times to make oatmeal in the crockpot….. unsuccessfully.  It was always so frustrating to wake up and have a mushy mess in there an not prepared breakfast.  I have finally figured it out!  Now there is an alternative to cold cereal on cold mornings! Great for when  we have to get out of the house too!  Wanna know the secret to delicious crockpot oatmeal?  I will be nice and share it with you!   Here goes, it is steel cut oats!  In the past I used the old Quaker rolled oats.  At least for me it never turned out.
IMG_20150107_220059892[1]  So to make your quick morning oats, all you need is your crock pot, steel cuts oats, Pam, milk and water.  Don’t forget the mix ins for the morning!  I am not going to list these with the ingredients as they can be endless.
      First, you need to spray your crockpot well.  Trust me, it isn’t fun to scrape off the sticky caked on oatmeal!  Then add the oats and liquid for your desired amount of final oatmeal.  I make a double batch for my klan.  So for me, I take 2 cups of oats and then split the 4 cups of liquid, half water-half milk.  By mixing the milk and water, it gives it a richer taste with out all the calories of total milk.   I have also used juice when making it on the stove, however haven’t tried this in the crockpot.  If you give it a try, I would love to hear how it turns out!
  Back to the crockpot!  Crockpots are great for putting your food in them and then forgetting about them.  This recipe is no different.  I make mine about 11pm and when we get up at 7am it is ready to go!  The kids loved it so much that I didn’t get any the first time that I made it!  Top with your regular oatmeal toppings:  chocolate chips (my fav!), a stir of your favorite jelly or jam, yogurt or whatever you put in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment