Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Boston Cream Pie Cake ~The Birthday Treat


20170228_203815[1]
     Each time there is a birthday at our house, the person of honor gets to pick what they want for supper as well as what kind of cake they want.  I know that for my hubby and my oldest it will always be an ice cream cake!  For the other three it varies.  We have had Snicker Cakes, Swiss Cake Rolls {yes as in Little DebbieSmile}, cheesecakes, pineapple upside down cakes and store bought variations. 
     USUALLY the cake is made.  I say usually because we have 3 birthdays in 11 days around here in Feb/March and there have been years where well, it just gets crazy, to say the least!  This year we have had a cheese cake, now a  Boston Creme Pie cake and we will see for the final one on Friday! 
     I was going to make the cakes last night and sadly, that didn’t work out as planned.  SO when I was out with today's appointments and errands I stopped at my local Krogers and purchased 2 8” white cake rounds.  Yet they do that, un-iced and all!  For future reference you can get cupcakes that way as well. Want a fun kid friendly activity?  Pick up a dozen of those, icing and toppings and have a cupcake bar!  Kids love to decorate their own cupcake!
  So, with my cakes in hand, I went to the baking isle and picked up some vanilla pudding (2 packs) as well as a bag of Ghirardelli melting wafers. 
  To put together:
     First you want to make your pudding.  If you chose the cook and serve you need to give it time to cool completely.  My daughter grabbed it this time and I realized it was instant when I went to make it.  I personally think the cook and serve makes a better product, but that is my opinion.  I used two packs that each called for 2 cups of milk, however I wanted a thicker consistency so I only used 3 cups of milk and 1 tsp of vanilla for a little extra flavor.  Whisk until smooth and place in the fridge until set.
     About an hour and a half before you are ready to serve your cake you want to melt the chocolates in a double broiler.  I added 2T of milk to the top of the double broiler.  I then added the bag of chocolate and melted it all together.  Once smooth you want to spread over the top layer of the cake and let “cool”.
    Since I used the instant pudding this time, I set it out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before I assembled the cake. This will let it "Soften" a bit.  You can also make a mousse by adding Cool Whip to the pudding.  So, when you are ready to serve you just spread the pudding on the top of the bottom layer, then place the top layer on top of the pudding and viola!  You have an almost homemade Boston Cream Cake!  

No comments:

Post a Comment