Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tasty Tuesday_ Not your store bought caramel!

I absolutely love caramel!  It is one of my favorite ice cream toppings, only next to fudge.  Keep in mind I said next to, not a second to Smile.  I also love Pinterest!  I saw a pin that talked about homemade caramel.  YUM!  With fall in full swing, I had to try it. I have to say that this is the second go round for the recipe.  We will see how this one goes.   The first time I used store brand.  It had a kind of sour milk taste to it.  In talking with a friend she said that she used the Carnation brand and it turned out great.  So here goes the second time.   You take a can of sweetened cream condensed milk.   
DSC_0020
                                                                                                                                                                      Remove the label so that our crockpot doesn’t know what you are cooking.  Seriously it is easier to take it off than to clean it out when if comes off while cooking.  Then you just place it in the center of the crock and fill it with water to about an inch above the can.  Then turn your crockpot on low and you wait.                


DSC_0021
And wait, and wait and wait.   This is why I chose to do it over night.  When you get up in the morning you have awesome caramel to put on your pancakes or cinnamon rolls or what ever you want!   Trust me, my friend when I say, it is  worth the wait!  When it is ready to come out the water in the crock pot is obviously  hot.  Get your tongs or a ladle or whatever you have with an oven mit an fish it out.  You do want to let it cool inside the can for a bit.  If not it will ooze out of the can when you open it.  I may or not have experienced this. 
DSC_0022

                                                                                                                                                                                                           Viola!
Check out this beautiful caramel!  It did make a difference when you tasted the store brand versus the Carnation brand to us. It also tastes better when you let it cool off.  It is hot!

Enjoy!

2 comments: