Thursday, February 21, 2013

It is Birthday time on the farm again!  Our second oldest caddie just turned 12!  Our second caddie was born only 3 weeks early, missing premature status by only 3 days.  I still remember like is was yesterday when my water broke and the events that followed.  We almost had a baby in the car!  Our little one came 16 minutes after we arrived at the hospital!  I guess that is what happens when you live an hour from it.
  Birthdays, on the farm mean that you get to pick your birthday dinner.  Also living in the country we don't have a lot of restaurants either.  This doesn't bother us too much as we really don't eat out.  It isn't healthy and it is expensive when you have a larger family.  So for your special meal you can pick anything that you want.  For his meal he wanted hamburgers and stadium brats.  What are stadium brats you ask?  They are more like a sausage than  brat or hot dog.  They are really good. He wanted baked potatoes with that and an ice cream cake.  We have several birthday's that fall during Lent.  Unfortunately, the Pro and oldest caddie gave up ice cream for lent.  I said that I would make two cakes, the ice cream and then a bunt cake (one of the pro's favorites).  I make our ice cream cakes too.  We have had not so pleasant experiences purchasing them.  So I thought I would give it a try one year and we now have a few a year.  We choose 2 kids of ice cream, a fudge or Carmel and cookie center and then I use whipped topping for the icing.  It takes about 6 hours to make and then really needs to freeze overnight.  We sometimes eat it earlier and it is just softer.  This time I put Reese's cups on top and put blue food coloring into the cool whip.  I can't get the picture to upload right now. I have a new computer and it runs on Windows 8. I am not that compatible with Windows 8, as well as my all in one printer and my Nikon camera.  I will get the hang of it and post that picture in the future.

                                                      
                                                          
                                                               
                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment