Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Homeschooling From Scratch~Grading and Recordkeeping

                                                
Homeschool Records
       When we first started homeschooling, we used an online program.  After that first year we decided that that type of program wasn’t a good fit for OUR family.  It’s one of the things about homeschooling that I love the most, if it doesn’t work, try something else! With that program I didn’t have to worry about grading or attendance as the computer/school did it.  The school did the record keeping since the kids were enrolled in that program, even attendance!  After that first year we branched out on our own and the responsibility of keeping all that info became mine!
        Recording Gradesgrades super job
      Grading  is something that I have heard different stories from different people since the beginning of our journey.  Once again homeschooling is tailored to your wants and needs so there isn’t any correct or incorrect way to do it.  However it needs done in some fashion.  Our public school don’t give A’s and B’s grades until like 4th grade or something.  Earlier grades get satisfactory and unsatisfactory or something of the sort.  I think the general rule is pass and fail for each person but it looks different.
     Some people grade and record that grade.  Others grade once the assignment is complete and have the child redo anything they missed until they get all correct and record nothing except A’s for the entire year, since they essentially make then all correct.  Some people grade and move on, unless they failed the assignment.  Again, not of these are THE method, you need to do what fits the best and gives you the information you want and need.  I personally do the 3rd one mentioned above.  If a child doesn’t received a passing grade they have to redo that lesson or I will supplement with some sort of worksheet or other approach to the material they are struggling with.  My personal preference.
     Record Keeping
school record 1 There are many ways to keep the actual records of your homeschool.  The first thing that you need to do is to check with your state to see what is required of you to keep/turn in.  In Ohio we are not required to turn in actual grades each year but an assessment by a certified teacher or test scores.  We have opted to do the assessments each year because it works for us.  You need to check with your state to see what is required.
     Your records need to be easily accessible but don’t have to be fancy.  You can use a note book/binder and prop it up on the shelf or go as elaborate {the program I use has been called by friendsSmile}as an online service.  I have been using My Homeschool Grades for the past several years.  I love the ease of imputing the grades, you can even have their schedule in there and their extracurricular activites/acheivements for transcript service!  This came in handy when I needed my oldest son’s transcripts.  I just hit a button and it printed right out.  It was all at my fingertips. 
       There are many online program that you can use from varying prices and features.  I have listed a few:
                           My Homeschool Grades
                           Homeschool Tracker
                           Homeschooling Records
                         **I have only used the My Homeschool Grades so I do not know how the others work or what they all offer.
     Homeschooling is a personal choice that need to be made by the family that it will involve and in some families it is made each year.  Just like this decision your grading and reporting will be the same.  You may use one system on year and a new on the next.  It is totally up to you!  You just want to make sure that you are doing what is required by your state.

  Check out what great stories other crew members have today in the 5 Days Of Homeschooling Blog Hop!
5 Days of Homeschool Annual Blog Hop - 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment